Saturday, January 12, 2019

ONE WORLD: Carol's Hands


ENCOUNTER:  Carol's Hands - God always gives us the edge

Once again, another encounter. This time just inside the front doors of a Walmart, with a man named Carol.

  


Carol was sitting on an electric shopping cart just inside the doors waiting for his wife.  As I was about to take one of the other carts, he began speaking to me.  I was quickly distracted when I caught sight of his hands, or rather absence of them.  My mind took flight from his words.

Carol is 82.  Only two thumbs developed, each on a partial palm.  No fingers. 
Carol drove truck for almost 40 years, just how I don't know.   I suppose anyone who can zip and unzip a coat with only two tiny thumbs, is capable of about anything. We shook hands.  Careful not to glance down at his hand as we touched, I kept my eyes on his eyes. 
Gently but firmly my hand completely encased his.  It was the hand of a child.  With his hand in mine there was a transfer of information faster than the devices we now plug into or "pair" with but here a transfer of feeling, emotion, tactile, visible, a lifetime of labor, suffering and endurance at the wheel.  I wanted to weep and cheer simultaneously. 

Distracted even further, I recalled the similar effects of a drug introduced in the 50's called Thalidomide* and asked if his condition was the result of his mother having taken it.  Not thinking, I realized he was born before the drug was introduced. He replied, no, and added that he had not been injured, but was the result of a congenital malformation or simply, born without hands.

"Forgive me Carol but your life is inspiring to me.  I spend too much time at a computer and as a distraction, I initiate a slideshow of photographs on a computer monitor near me.  If you allow me to take your photograph, I will be inspired each time your photo appears."  Carol responded as though he expected the request, and, with a big smile quite happily permitted me to take his picture.  He even asked if he could remove his jacket, which at first puzzled me, but curiosity vanished as I watched him unzip it and later zip it up with thumbs only.  Although done somewhat slowly, I could not clearly detect the precise movement of his palms. It was nonetheless amazing to see and, my guess, judging by his enduring smile, enjoyable for  him to show me!  At my request he crossed his arms.  

So often we hear the term, 'count your blessings'.  Frankly, I don't feel counting them is that difficult for anyone.  Recognizing them however is another story.  And I am not talking about being appreciative for having what others may lack, such has hands, but rather recognizing that our greatest source of blessings, after God, that come from being aware of and knowing that God Himself fashioned all things with "his own hands".

Carol's wife arrived.  An oxygen tank trailed behind her.  She was a heavy set woman with a child's face and a manner to go with it.  Unexpectedly she terminated Carol's story in order to express her sadness and discontent with what she perceives as an increase in prejudice, and people judging each other in these times - something many others, even in brief encounters, quickly allude to.   

Although the three of us spoke for at least half an hour, I was more than a little overwhelmed with the child-like spirit and charity of these two people so much so that it clouded most of the conversation, except the occasional gratitude they gracefully and succinctly offered our Lord Christ.  Nevertheless, I left not only inspired but more aware of my self-centeredness and self-pity.  

As we all know, there are countless forms of suffering in the world, by those who endure and those who fail to endure, suffering from those who abuse, and the suffering of those who are abused.  Nevertheless, followers believe that Christ is everywhere present and fills all things and therefore know all things are possible in Him, they know that He is in and beyond His creation simultaneously, that He does what He pleases but He is the answer to all things.  What greater joy when our Father Christ allows us to experience directly the depth of is His own personal love for us.  How wonderful when we feel Him and His love being shared by two or more creatures, especially sinful people.

So, regardless of an individual or creature's appearance, image, intellect, status, race, species, virtue or lack of it, etc., can we not say that each encounter and its infinite facets, is a step beyond and, a even a stumbling block to all sciences, philosophy, etc., and what is referred to as the uncertainty principle and the correspondence principle or rather Quantum Mechanics?  Or who, from all the "greatest" of men, has asked:  How can I know the universe when I don't even know myself and its Creator? 

In fact, for those who believe and those who know, all questions are answered in the verse:  St Matthew 6:22 ...if thine eye be single, thy whole body will be filled with light.

*Thalidomide first appeared in Germany on 1st October 1957. It was marketed as a sedative with apparently remarkably few side effects. The Drug Company that developed it believed it was so safe it was suitable for prescribing to pregnant women to help combat morning sickness. The drug was NOT thoroughly tested however and resulted in Phocomelia, the name given to the flipper-like limbs which appeared on the children of women who took thalidomide. Babies effected by this tragedy were given the name 'Thalidomide Babies' (photo). 
I caution you NOT to look for more images of Thalidomide children online unless you want to break your heart. You will be appalled! May God forgive us for so many things.
Thalidomide children



No comments:

Post a Comment

From - ETERNAL MYSTERIES BEYOND THE GRAVE by Archimandrite Panteleimon 1

taken from ETERNAL MYSTERIES BEYOND THE GRAVE 1 by Archimandrite Panteleimon Human beings who approach perfection and have achieved...